Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Just some thoughts

It's mid-September, the 23rd, today. Thirty-five weeks of baby growing done, thirty-five days to go until the golden 40-week mark. Russell was a little early (2 weeks) so I'm hoping for a repeat with this little one. A friend has offered to take care of Russell while we're in the hospital, for that I'm so grateful. Russell keeps putting stuffed animals down his shirt and calling them his 'babies.'

I'm enjoying seeing the faux fall foliage in the store fronts and Russell gets excited when he sees pumpkins because we've told him that pumpkins mean the baby will be born soon. I'd love to do some fall baking of spice breads and pies but when it is 85F-90F outdoors, it kinda kills the romance of it. I've ripped out pages of the recent Pottery Barn magazine because next October I'd love to host a Harvest Party with all the trimmings.

For many reasons, the verse posted on our blog has become overly relevant this past month. "Rejoice with them that rejoice, and weep with them that weep." Romans 12:16. We've celebrated the birth of several baby births and still anticipate more celebrations as other babies come due. We anticipate our own miracle. Yet, around us, life has not been so sweet. A dear friend's father died last week, unexpectedly. Another friend's husband was laid off from work within weeks of their expecting child #2 (thankfully, he was compensated). An acquaintance from high-school has been fighting cancer for the last two years and was just given a 'terminal' diagnosis.

Over the past few years, we've shed many tears. At those times, friends and the Church body have rallied around us to petition in prayer and love. Now, some of those that rallied with us have a serious need of intercessory prayer and support. Like Christ emphasized, we were expected to live in community and not to live isolated lives. It's easy to float alone when times are easy but when the sky seems to shatter in, we can not survive in isolation.

As time moves forward even when we feel like crawling under a rock, we have to believe that God is in control. I've learned that I don't have to understand God, I just have to believe in Him. For those of us who are in a season of joy, remember those that are in their season of weeping. For those who weep, there will be a seaon of joy. Thank God that He is in control and no one else is.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Thank you Hillary for posting that....it is a word that is totally pertinent to my life right now as well...I'm dealing with an awful job situation and will be looking for a new one(s) this Fri. I do need to trust God is in control and that His will is the only way to go.

Who in HS is sick?

C. Beth said...

What a wise and encouraging post. Thanks, Hillary.

Laura said...

Your words have brightened my day more than you know. Love you so much!

Glenn+Jenn+Owen+Ian said...

Love this post...I want to be able to live my life praising God in the weeping and the joy. Bake some pumpkin bread soon!

Photogrl said...

Beautiful.

You summed it up perfectly.

I need to remember that HE is in control.

Grad3 said...

While hard to accept at times it doesn't make it any less true.

(How can your due date be so close already???)

K said...

What a wondeful post that I really needed to read! Thank You!

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Thanks for this post, Hill. I am trying to be positive -- yes, I'll always miss my dad, but I have to keep remembering how lucky I was to have him in my life, even if it wasn't as long as I wanted.

Can't wait to meet your baby girl! Hugs! Marcia

Choco Girl said...

What a good word...