Thursday, December 04, 2008

Not What We Had Planned... but That's Okay

Traditionally at this time of the year, UPS/FedEx is delivering Christmas goodies that we have so excitedly purchased online. No overcrowded malls, no grumpy shoppers, no chasing Russell down the escalators. This year, it has been a little different. We've scaled back the purchasing of gifts and instead have tried to increase charitable giving because there is so much need in the communities near and far. And, instead of gifts being delivered, this month the delivery is medications.

I remember as a child, saying, "I love needles." I had no idea why I used to say that, except for the attention that it drew. As a child, I also wanted to grow up and be a part of the medical profession, except now instead of being the doctor, I'm the patient. Ironic.

The RE only prescribed 30mg/0.3ml/day and not a higher dosage (some woman take 40mg/x2 day) because I don't have any clotting issues. Taking the Lovenox is the last stop on this journey before we're off to the Voo-Doo doctors down in Los Gatos at the immunology clinic. I'll start the shots after the New Year sometime. Thankfully, the insurance covers the cost with exception of a $50 co-pay. I've been in contact with a few women online that have taken Lovenox and have since carried to term, so I am hopeful that there is a chance for us.

To be honest, I'm not looking forward to taking the daily shots but we are realistic at this point that I won't have another child without some sort of medical intervention. I'm excited to give this drug a chance and maybe, maybe, get a baby in the mix, too.

7 comments:

Aly sun said...

You have to administer it yourself? Ahh! You are my hero and such a brave woman. As always, praying for you!

Choco Girl said...

That is my prayer for you! I agree with Alysun, given yourself shots..ack! **San Diego hug**

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

You have such a great attitude about all of this. I know I would not be able to give myself shots -- I'm a needle-phobe, which is part of the reason I did child birth without anesthetic. Best of luck! Your friends will be with you all the way!

Marcia

Photogrl said...

I really, really, really hope this is the trick for you!

Here's to hoping that the needles are small...

Stacey said...

Just wanted you to know that I used Lovenox injections with my last two pregnancy attempts. Please don't feel discouraged knowing that it didn't "work" for me - I know every situation is different and I pray this is your answer!
I'm commenting to let you know that I'd be glad to offer any advice that I possibly can. I found that using a piece of ice to numb my skin for a few minutes made the shot a little better.
I hope it goes well!

C. Beth said...

I gave The Engineer Lovenox twice a day for a few days when he had his pulmonary embolism. Sorry you have to take it--I know it's not a fun one! Still praying for you.

Polly Gamwich said...

How exciting!! Please let me know if you need any help, I'm just a short car ride away ... if you'd like me to do the first few shots with you or Dan.

I'm so hopeful for you! And praying, of course!